Archival Manual | Table of Contents
The MVZ houses an extensive archive of field notebooks, photographs, annotated maps, artwork, and personal papers that date to the Museum’s founding in 1908. These historical and present-day materials provide records of expeditions, research and field conditions during the 20th and 21st century. They are used by scientists, historians, and the public to examine environmental and societal change.
Access MVZ Field Notes & Correspondence
Access MVZ Photos
Tips for searching photos in Arctos:
- Select “image” as the Media Type.
- If you only want MVZ photos, select “media identifier” under “Media Label” and enter “MVZ” (MVZ photos are cataloged with a unique MVZ number). Otherwise, you will get photos from any Arctos collection.
- If you are looking for photos of a particular subject, try entering the subject in the keywords field (e.g., “pika”).
- If you are looking for photos of a particular person, select “shows agent” under “Relationship” and enter the person’s name (e.g., “Grinnell”).
- If you are looking for photos taken by a particular person, select “created by agent” under “Relationship” and enter the person’s name (e.g., “Dixon”).
- If you are looking for photos taken in a particular place, select “created from collecting event” under “Relationship” and enter the location (e.g., “Yosemite”).