Printing Labels and Ledger
MVZ labels for specimen cases, drawers, and fluid rooms are printed with specific templates. Details may vary by collection. The following templates were developed for the MVZ bird collection and can be modified as needed.
The following templates are used for labeling cases and drawers that house bird, mammal, egg/nest, and dry herp specimens.
Standard Case Exterior Label
• Fits standard size steel cases
• Requires trimming to fit zinc cases
• Four labels per page
• Fits standard size steel and wood drawers
• Fits steel egg case drawers
• 12 labels per page
Magnetic Aisle Label
• Fits 5″ x 7″ magnetic picture holders
• All pre-designed aisle labels are included in this document
Egg Case Exterior Label
• Fits large steel egg cases
• One label per page
Fluid Jars and Vials
• top line: scientific name (genus, species, subspecies if applicable)
• middle line: geographic locality (country, state; state, county)
• bottom right: MVZ catalog number(s)
- Go to Arctos and login to your account.
- On the Specimen Search page, select the collection (e.g,. MVZ:Bird) and search by the accession number by entering ‘= XXXXX’ in the Accession field (where XXXXX is the accession number) to get an exact match. You may need to hit ‘Show More Options’ to show the option for entering the accession number.
- In the Specimen Results page, go to ‘Manage’ and scroll down to ‘Print Any Report’ which will take you to the Arctos reporter function.
- In the long drop down list of possible reports, select ‘MVZ Ledger’ and hit ‘Print Report’ which will produce a PDF file of the ledger. The ledger is designed to print 10 records on a page. If there are multiple pages for one accession, it will print all of the pages and show 1 of N, 2 of N, etc.
- Print the ledger using the printer located in the curatorial work area. Ledgers are printed on special archival paper that is pre-punched with holes for a notebook. Print the ledger using the curatorial printer, and make sure to orient and feed the ledger paper properly (see instructions at the printer).
- Once you print the ledger, place the pages in numerical order by MVZ catalog number in the appropriate ledger notebook. Notebooks for the bird and mammal ledgers are located on top of the bird and mammal cases (respectively) in the curatorial area. The herp ledger notebook is on top of the old herp card catalog (on the left when you walk into the Herp Lab).