Field work may involve different kinds of transport that are subject to local, state, or federal regulations. Researchers should be aware of all regulations covering the transport of chemicals, equipment, specimens/tissues, and other materials. The UC Berkeley Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee also may impose certain requirements on transport (e.g., liquid nitrogen).

Curators may draft a letter certifying that the carrier is a researcher with the MVZ and is conducting legitimate scientific research. This is especially useful for international work, but also can be relevant for work within the U.S. A copy of the letter should be shown to officials upon request.

Airlines have specific regulations regarding transport of firearms and sharp objects that may be used for collecting. Firearm restrictions apply to anything that looks like a gun (e.g., shotgun, rifle, air rifle, pellet gun, dart gun, etc.). The basic rules are:

  • firearms must be declared at the ticket counter
  • firearms must be broken down and transported in a locked, hard-sided gun case
  • ammunition must be packed separately from the firearm(s)
  • ammunition must be in its original container
  • ammunition is limited to a certain weight

If you are traveling internationally, always check with the airline and destination country re: restrictions on transportation and importation of items before traveling.

TSA Travel Tips